In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me:
As He died to make men holy, let us live to make men free,
While God is marching on!

. . . from the BATTLE HYMN OF THE REPUBLIC

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Tom & Melany's Excellent Adventure: Ch. One

Well, I've finally caught up with unpacking and stowing, bills, lawn mowing, and all the other chores that typically follow a vacation trip. I've even gotten our pictures from the camera to the computer! For my next trick, I'll present you with a day-by-day account over several posts of our adventures last week in the Deep and Sunny South, complete with photos and links that will thrill, amaze, and bore you to death. Like a "serial" killing, eh? So, let's go!

We had a fairly uneventful trip down to Florida. My sister-in-law Melinda drove Melany and I to the Buffalo airport Saturday morning (April 18) and arrived there about 9:30 a.m. Our 11:10 a.m. flight was delayed almost an hour, and by the time we got to the Atlanta airport, after a flight of 2 hours or so, we had just enough time time to dash to our departure gate, answer nature's call, and make it onto the plane before they closed the doors. We arrived in Jacksonville about 3:30 p.m., but the only bag that we had checked didn't make it there with us! :-( It took a while to process our claim because the only Delta baggage agent on duty, who was dealing with half a dozen other people on our flight whose luggage didn't arrive with them, had to stop and open an unclaimed bag with a security officer present to find out why a loud whirring noise was coming from it. Turned out to be somebody's electric toothbrush, whizzing away all by itself! (I saw this happen in our own bathroom several times, and it always freaked me out--what makes that happen?) Our bag was finally delivered to my parents' Jacksonville home the next day, after several phone calls to Delta during which it was discovered that while we were traveling to Florida, our bag was traveling to Los Angeles! We were relieved to have it with us again (at least we had packed an extra day's clothes in our carry-ons, to be safe), though I was rather disappointed that it turned up without an "L.A." tourist sticker on it. I guess we should be thankful that it didn't go to Mexico City!

Having gotten us to their home from the airport, Mom and Dad treated us to a delicious Sloppy Joe dinner. I'm serious--this was about the best Sloppy Joe I ever tasted (and Melany's is pretty darn good)! Maybe it was just because I was hungry, or very thankful that we hadn't had to travel to Los Angeles with our bag, but Saturday dinner was very satisfying!

We were tired enough when all of this was done and we could finally turn in, so maybe you are, too. Chapter Two coming up!

No comments: